For those that don't know the whole story or are confused I'll do a quick re-hash. Six years ago I moved to Maine and started a new job. A couple of weeks into the new job I twisted and fell right in front of all of my co-workers. It was embarrassing and it seemed my foot would never heal. Months became years and I was thrown every diagnosis in the book at it. Nothing ever worked. A few months back, as a last ditch effort, I was another podiatrist. He took a look at my MRI from November 2010 and from Spring of 2005 and saw something that NO ONE else caught. Not even the radiologists. I have an extra muscle. An accessory muscle is a genetic anomaly. They say maybe 8% of the total US population may have this. This extra muscle is impinging on my nerves and blood flow, just like a typical case of tarsal tunnel syndrome.
So, on Tuesday, I went in and the muscle removed. I never enjoy having surgery and being in pain. This time it was a whole new ball game because of Caroline. This is going to be a long, and slow, recovery process. Toddlers wait for no one! I'm on bed rest for 3-4 weeks and then will slowly begin to go to PT and make attempt to put weight on it. It will be months before I'm picking up Caroline and walking across the room. I've gone through many waves of panic and sadness. Now that it's happened, I'm doing my best to not get frustrated. There is no going back! I have books on how to better my food photographer, I the Montessori Method book on how to better educate my peanut, I have wool in hopes to become crafty, and I'm going to do my best not to micro manage from the bedroom while Alan handles it all!
My first post-op appointment was this morning and he said everything looks great. I have another on Tuesday and he'll re-splint again, this time a little more bent. Slowly, trying to get some stretch to the foot.
In the mean time, there will probably be more funny stories than pictures on this blog for the next week or two, but know that were are all learning A LOT this week with our new roles :)
Glad to hear you're feeling better.. must be so hard not to keep up with Caroline! Hang in there! Can I help by bringing over a meal?
ReplyDelete